Monday, July 16, 2007

RAJA FINDS HIS NICHE IN TOLLYWOOD, BUT WILL HE BE ABLE TO MAKE IT BIG?



The chocolate-faced boy of Tollywood, Raja, has come a long way from itsy-bitsy teeny weeny roles. Though he is still to establish himself as an actor to reckon with in the Telugu film industry, luck and pluck has enabled him to create an identity of his own.

Raja burst on to the scene with Appudu Appudu, one of the biggest hits of 2001. But, all was not hunky dory. "After a dream debut, it felt as though lady luck had deserted me. To make matters worse, I was considered as unlucky after the failure of all the films I had acted in. It was a traumatic phase," says Raja, talking to Hyderabad Times.

But, Sekhar Kamula's Anand bought back joy in the life of Raja, who had been doing odd roles till then. "Anand changed everything. Fans still address me as Anand," he says. And predictably, there was no looking back. He was able to carve a niche in Tollywood with films like Aa Naluguru,and Kokila.

Right now, he has graduated from family dramas to action films. "My latest film, Toss, is an action flick in which I play one of the leads. Until now, I have acted only in family-oriented movies, but I want to shed that image to appeal to a larger audience. I have worked hard to put in the extra muscle required to look the part," says the actor.

What does he think of the GenNext actors? "The new generation of actors be it junior NTR, Allu Arjun or whoever it is are in the transition phase. They are more aware of what is happening in the world cinema than any other generation, and that will be reflected in their work."

There have been rumours of his alleged escapades with his Toss co-star Priyamani. What does he have to say about it? He shrugs off the rumours but says wedding bells might ring any moment. "All I can say is I have found the love of my life, and she is not from the film industry."

No comments:

CHECK OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE NEWSROOM