Wednesday, September 12, 2007

EVEN IN DEFEAT VARMA DOESN'T SHED HIS ARROGANCE: I HAVE HIT AN ALL-TIME LOW, I CAN ONLY MOVE UP NOW, HE SAYS


Ram Gopal Varma's remake of a cult classic is a box office flop, and Varma has drawn flak for Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag, his ambitious remake of the 1975 film Sholay which nosedived at the box-office. The films tell the story of two reformed crooks who save a village from a bloodthirsty bandit.

"Every flaw the film is being criticised for is mine," said Varma. "I take full responsibility for my film. It is my vision that faltered from the script to the music to the songs."

The maverick director said he had hit rock bottom with the film's failure.

He also said he now believes his project was doomed to failure, as it ran into legal problems. Many critics also labelled his attempt at rehashing a blockbuster classic as stupidity.

"Everybody told me not to go ahead with it. The film then went into legal tangles. Characters needed to be changed, the title needed to be changed, and even the script to some extent.

"Now I think it was not wise for me to go ahead," he said.

Varma, known for his gangster movies and horror flicks, said he could only improve from now on. "I have hit an all-time low. I can only move up now," he said.

Varma's next film Sarkar Raj, a sequel to the hit 2005 film Sarkar about a megalomaniac politician, is scheduled to be released in December this year.

No comments:

CHECK OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE NEWSROOM